One part of the Australian dreams is a beautiful home. Part of that home is having magazine quality curb appeal in classic colours paint colours and well-trimmed eaves and architectural features. This dream is the reason that the weekend warriors roll up their sleeves, take out their brushes and attempt to get to work. Is it that easy? Can you get a beautiful home with just a little bit of elbow grease? You can, but there are a few tips to make it easier!
- Do your research! Do you have the time and the patience to tackle a job like painting your bathroom yourself? Ask yourself what your time is worth – will this consume your next couple of weekends? (Remember every time you stop; you’ve got to re-do some of your precious prep work again.) Perhaps your time would be better spent getting a few quotes and handing the job over to a professional team like Aussie Bathroom renovations, who more often than not can get the entire bathroom done in a few days, while you’re busy at work doing your normal job. If anything, getting a quote done, just to see what it costs is well worth it – especially if it takes more time than you thought that it would and you have to hand it over to the professionals anyway!
- Measure – and measure again! You’ll want to make sure that get enough paint to do the whole job. Paint batches may vary slightly from can to can, so you want to avoid being able to spot where you had to rush out and buy more. Most paint brand sites have invaluable calculators to help you make the right measurements. This also goes with the first tip – perhaps in the time that it takes you to prep and paint and buy the materials, it simply may be cheaper and easier to use a professional.
- Get good advice about your paint choice. Choosing the right colour if everyone in the family has a different opinion may sound like the hardest job, but it isn’t! Choosing the right paint for the right finish can be very frustrating. If you have plastered or textured finished walls, this will take a completely different painting approach than say painted wood paneling. Vinyl finishes will also require the right kind of paint. While you are enquiring about the paint – don’t forget to ask if you need a special primer. Primer prepares the surface for the paint and allows it to adhere better and for longer. Its extremely important that the right kind of primer and undercoat is selected.
- While you are choosing the right type of paint, don’t forget to inquire about the right kind of paint for what is adjacent to the bathroom. Bathrooms that are near sauna’s or steam rooms for example, have different heat and humidly impacting them compared to bathrooms that are not exposed to these installations. Many paints are labelled for multi-purpose environments, but as painting is such an investment, you want it to last for years, so make sure you are asking the question before you settle on what you select.
- Get the right equipment! You’ll want to make sure that your brushes and rollers are not only for the type of finish that you’ve selected in your paint, you also want to make sure that they are right for the type of exterior that you have. Vinyl siding for example will take a completely different roller than one for render. While you are selecting your equipment, don’t forget drop clothes if you need them. Buy some extra rope to pull back any internal shrubbery that may be permanently planted in a luxury bathroom (wrapping them in old sheets if necessary to protect the branches) and make sure that you also pick up few rolls of painter’s tape. Don’t forget the turpentine if you’ve selected an enamel as you’ll want to carefully clean your brushes on finishing each day.
- Clean well! For the average bathroom, it will need a thorougher wash down with sugar soap or a proper detergent to remove surface grime. Always wash from the top down and be sure to rinse everything that you’ve washed carefully. You can use a hand scrubber for areas that are particularly dirty such as skirting boards. If you have a large or very dirty house, it may be better to get a pressure washer. Make sure that you rinse carefully so there is no surface debris that will mar the finish of your painting. Remember, every time you stop for a few days with out starting, you will have to wash your unpainted areas again as a film can quickly occur that needs to be removed for a first class paint finish..
- Tape and protect your fixtures and check for holes. A really great tip is to wrap door knobs and non-removable fixtures will aluminium foil and tape near the end. This allows the foil to be moulded to the shape of the fixtures and it stays out of your way. As you are carefully protecting fixtures, check to make sure that your surfaces are ready. Fill any chips or holes and pound down and fill any lose nails. Do a final walk around inspection before you pick up your brushes.
Don’t forget to check the weather! It would be a shame to get all that work done, just to have the forecast change to very cold weather on you, especially if you are using oil based paints. Once you’ve completed the above tips and tricks, you should be ready to crack open a well shaken can… of paint! The cold one can wait for when you’re done, you’ll have earned it!
Aussie Bathroom Renovations offers a better method for completing a bathroom renovation. We have a full-service approach which guarantees to make your bathroom or ensuite remodel easier and stress free for you and your family.
The Bathroom Design
The key to the process is our design experience. From concept to completion, our highly experienced Bathroom Remodeling Consultants will keep your project proceeding without pressure or stress through the following steps:
Measurement: We will visit your home and measure the dimensions of your bathroom with precise accuracy.
Layout: Our team will create the concept design of your bathroom layout to include your new cabinets, water technology, and where back splashes will go etc. We will also create unlimited revisions until you are completely satisfied with your bathroom or ensuite design. We consider the entire customer requirements, including bath to shower conversions, installing easy access showers, specialist finishes etc.
Selection of Finishes: Aussie Bathroom Renovations will guide you in selection of all your finishes so that your bathroom tile ideas, tub, bathroom vanities and water technology all complement each other beautifully. We have access to all the latest bathroom accessories and technology advancements.
Cost Planning: Our bathroom consultants will help you develop and create a design within your project budget. We are a full service company, we supply and complete the contractor process so we always keep you informed on how much the project is costing and what your variations will cost. This gives you comfort that you will achieve what you want in a controlled way and we assist with this every step of the way. Regardless of your budget being large or small, designer magazine bathrooms dreams can become your reality when you engage us to help in your journey.
Supply: Traditional bathroom and ensuite design in modern styles can be achieved by using Aussie Bathroom Renovations. We take the personal approach and happy to visit specialist bathroom showrooms with you to assisting the selection of bathroom products and accessories. If you’re looking for a luxury bathroom or just a retro update to match a magazine or website image you like, we are able to assist you achieve this.
Installation: Our contractors are all extremely experienced with our bathroom remodelling team being held in the highest regard. We deliver superior quality, top customer service, assistance with problem solving, project management, and warranties where applicable. Any challenges faced in completing bathroom remodelling in Sydney, you will eliminate the heartache by choosing us as your contractor in your special project. Aussie Bathroom Renovations can guarantee that your finished bathroom will not only meet but exceed your expectations.
Planning on remodelling your bathroom? This can be a daunting project with so many options and design ideas on offer. Before you begin selecting and purchasing your fixtures, consider your budget for the entire project as all the bits and pieces quickly add up. Also you should allow a little extra in your budget for unexpected repairs or mishaps.
- Choose a design which matches the era of your home or your intentions for the house including other renovations. If you are renovating your home to sell, choose neutral tones and colours which will appeal to a wider audience of buyers. It is a good idea to spend time collecting ideas for your bathroom. Visit some showrooms or peruse some design magazines to help you choose your style.
- Planning your layout. Professional designers will never situate the toilet so it is visible from the doorway. Bathroom doors are often left open and the toilet is the least aesthetically pleasing article in the house. You don’t want to detract from the fresh clean atmosphere of your beautiful remodel. Consider the practicality of your layout. Is there enough counter space and storage space? Is there a practical space to fix a toilet roll holder and towel rails? Most importantly, have a good understanding of appropriate bathroom dimensions. Knowing the key measurements of shower, bath tub, vanity and toilet space will help you plan your remodel more effectively.
- Lighting in your bathroom is a very important aspect which needs to be carefully considered. Bright white lighting is ideal for illuminating our everyday grooming activities as it increases the visibility of our skin tone and mimics natural daylight. Decorative lighting such as pendant lights or chandeliers can be used to add ambience to your bathroom but be sure to include practical LED or incandescent bulbs.
- If you have a little extra in your budget to include a statement piece, ensure it suits the theme of your bathroom. A claw foot bath, although timeless and classic, may not suit a modern minimalistic bathroom design. A feature wall, decorative tile or tile border can add terrific character to a new bathroom but be sure the colours and textures are not going to clash with your other fixtures and features. If your bathroom is small, a large sized mirror can give off the illusion of more space.
- Flooring selection. Bathroom flooring must be long-lasting and easy to clean. Wooden flooring looks amazing but can be prone to water damage so may not be the best option for your bathroom floor. Vinyl flooring, stone or ceramic tiles are more practical options. Bold and contrasting patterns can also be used on your bathroom floor as a focal point or statement.
- Bathroom window treatments are a necessity for adding softness and privacy to your bathroom design. High set windows, window film and glass blocks incorporate natural light and privacy by obscuring any view from onlookers. You may even choose a combination of shutters for natural light and roller blinds for privacy. Whatever option you are considering, take practicality and flexibility into account as this room will be used everyday.
- Decorating your bathroom. Choose a few matching accessories which won’t clutter your new space. If you chose neutral colours for your bathroom, bright coloured or patterned towels will lift the space adding softness and detail. Some greenery such as a pot plant or vase of flowers will add freshness, life and colour. It is important not to clutter your counter space with bottles and cosmetics as this can look untidy. Consider some built in storage or neat organisational pieces for your cabinets.
Installing a new shower? With so many beautiful and modern options to choose from, this can seem like quite a huge task to take on. Just to help you on your way, here are some must have tips and features to help you create your dream bathroom. It may also help if you check out some bathroom supplier show rooms and look at some of the latest design magazines for ideas.
- Deluxe shower heads are a must have feature for your new shower installation. To choose the best shower head to suit your needs, consider who in your family will be using the bathroom and how often. Hand held shower heads add convenience and practicality to your new shower design. Multi function and massage shower heads come in fixed wall and hand held varieties. With just the flick of a wrist you can adjust your shower to a rain fall setting, a massage setting or a high pressure jet setting. A luxurious shower head can be like having your own private massage parlour right in your own home but still practical enough for every day use.
- Rainfall shower heads can be an attractive and relaxing feature for your new shower. They generally have lower water pressure compared to standard shower heads but do include the luxury of wide water coverage. If you are thinking about installing a rainfall shower head, perhaps consider installing an additional hand held or high pressure fixed shower Head.
- Adding a recessed shower shelf or niche to your design eliminates the need for ugly shower caddies plus you will no longer have to balance your shampoo bottles on top of your shower screen. Recessed shower shelving can optimise limited space and include an attractive easily accessible storage area to your bathroom.
- Built in and portable shower benches add comfort, space and a touch of luxury to your bathroom. Incorporating a bench seat into your shower will add sophistication and highly functional style to your shower. Benches can also be wall mounted and will give you an ideal place to display your bathroom décor, not to mention the addition of clever built in storage.
- A shower wet room is a terrifically spacious option for your bathroom which is sure to add value to your home. Not only do you have no shower screens to keep clean but the open space will create a very luxurious atmosphere in your bathroom.
- Adding music and media features to your bathroom is very luxurious and in vogue with the latest technology trends. Anything as simple as a waterproof blue tooth shower speaker or something as high tech as the latest entertainment system can be incorporated into your bathroom. Check out your local Hi-Fi store for the latest in waterproof speakers and televisions.
- If you live in a cold climate area under floor heating and towel warmers will enhance and add immense lavishness to your daily showering experience. Under floor heating can be installed as a hydronic system or electric system. Electric systems are more simple, cheaper and easier to install but hydronic systems running costs compare cheaper in the long run. If under floor heating is out of your price range, a heated towel rail could be an excellent compromise. A heated towel rail will dry your towels and have them toasty warm and ready for you after your shower. They come in many different styles and accommodate both low and high end budgets.
Some jobs are best left to the experts as this in most cases will save you head aches and money.
Consult with Aussie Bathroom Renovations, trusted trades people for your plumbing, electrical and waterproofing needs.